East Carolina University
Office of International Affairs

International Affairs Images


Social Security Number

To apply for a Social Security number, you must go in person to the Social Security Office. Effective on October 13, 2004, international students who apply for a Social Security Number on the basis of on-campus employment will have to present a letter from the International Student Advisor stating that the student is authorized to engage in on-campus employment, the nature of the employment to be engaged in, and identifying the employer for whom the student will be working. The international student will also have to provide a statement from his or her on-campus employer, to prove that the student is engaging in, or has secured, employment. This new evidence rule does not apply to F-1 students who have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Also, students must provide two official documents that are more than one year old with your age or birth date on it. Examples: passport, birth certificate, driver’s license, insurance card, etc. Additional documentation required: I-94 card, passport, I-20 or DS-2019. The Social Security Office must complete a verification process with the immigration service before issuing numbers and cards. The office is open from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Below is the address and telephone number:

Social Security Administration
3805 South Charles Blvd.
Greenville, NC 27858
Telephone: 252-758-1634