The Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement partners with nonprofits, schools or programs in the Greenville and Pitt County areas that provide services to community members and also provide service and learning opportunities for ECU students, faculty and staff.
Partners encourage members of the ECU community to help in their work and to learn about the community’s vision for its future, thus allowing members of the ECU community the opportunity to fundamentally expand their worldview and understanding of a full range of community issues. With rare exception, all CLCE community partners are external to the university.
CLCE partners are nonprofits, schools, or programs that address social injustices and create positive change within our local, regional, and global communities. As co-educators, CLCE community partners support the beneficial exchange of knowledge, information, and resources for ECU students, faculty, and staff.
Partners serve as co-educators, engaging ECU students, faculty, and staff in meaningful service experiences that support leadership, academic, and civic growth. We believe that partnership is a relational process that supports collaboration, communication, and a commitment to community. CLCE partnerships support the following guiding principles:
- The relationship between partners in the Partnership is characterized by mutual trust, respect, genuineness, and commitment.
- The Partnership builds upon identified strengths and assets, but also works to address needs and increase capacity of all partners.
- Partners make clear and open communication an ongoing priority in the Partnership by striving to understand each other's needs and self-interests, and developing a common language.
- There is feedback among all stakeholders in the Partnership, with the goal of continuously improving the Partnership and its outcomes.
- Partnerships can dissolve, and when they do, need to plan a process for closure.
- The Partnership balances power among partners and enables resources among partners to be shared.
- Partners share benefits of the Partnership's accomplishments.